Question
Posted by: longlegs | 2005/06/03

Ex smoker

Last year, at age 54, I had a near-death experience and now have a pacemaker. This forced me to take stock of my lifestyle. I stopped smoking....five months now....I used to forget about eating for days. Now eat three meals a day and in-between. No sugar, no sweets, no chocs, no fizzy drinks and one cup of coffee a day since October 2004.
Now have 2+ litres water a day, four fruits, four veg, skinless chicken, Jungle Oats, nuts, low-fat yoghurt, raisins, skim milk, lean mince, various fish, brown rice.
Started weight bearing exercises recently and am increasing my walking from once to three times a week.
Weigh 70kgs and 1,65 tall. My weight should be between 55 and 60kgs.
What am I doing wrong that the weight hasn't budged since October?

Dear Longlegs
Well done for making all these important changes to your lifestyle. Your present BMI = 25,7, which is slightly above the normal range of 18-25. It would be beneficial to reduce down to 60 kg as you would then be on your ideal weight. I am not sure what is preventing you from losing weight if you are eating a sensible, balanced diet, but you could still be ingesting more energy than you need for your daily requirements. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet and compare it with what you are eating at present and try adjusting your food intake esp the quantities. If you still have not lost any weight after 1 month, then I would recommend that you ask your dr to test for hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin, etc) as insulin resistance and/or hypothyroidism can hamper weight loss.