Question
Posted by: DanielMUK | 2007/08/11

Evening Office Work and Diet

To DietDoc

Many thanks for your articles, they have been an interesting and helpful read.
I'm looking for more clarification on diet when in the office. I have read the two articles on this site which have been useful, but I need a little more advice please. I work an evening shift (4p.m till 12:30a.m). Normally we are not allowed to move around much except during breaks which makes us quite stationary for long periods of time, but I do make an effort to walk during breaks and exercise at home everyday.
I find it difficult to decide on what types foods I should be eating to lose weight and stay slim (i.e. carbs, fats and proteins). I gather sitting in one position that I would not need too much carbs, but I have been told that I need some to keep my brain active. The trouble is I'm not sure how much we should be eating to find the right balance between keeping the the mind active and avoiding weight gain. Another element that has been added is that we should not eat carbs after a certain time, e.g. after 6p.m or after 9.pm. Working an evening/night shift means I over run that and it has left me confused in what I should do. I appreciate your comments and advice, many thanks for reading.

Dear Daniel
Thank you for your kind words. Basically you need to eat a diet that is low in fat and contains more carbs and proteins. The fact that your 'day' starts at 4 pm removes the injunction about eating after 6 or 9 pm, because your night shift is equivalent to other people's day. I would recommend that you follow an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Contrary to general belief, carbs have a low energy content of only 16 kJ per gram compared to 37 kJ per gram for fats. Proteins provide 17 kJ per gram, thus it is better to concentrate on carbs and proteins if you want to prevent weight gain. If you reduce your fat intake you will also reduce your energy intake and prevent weight gain. Select low-fat proteins for your diet (fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese, lean meat, fish and 4 eggs per week plus legumes, which are rich in plant protein, but low in fat). The fact that you are making an effort to do exercise during work and at home every day, is excellent. Use aerobic exercise such as running, jogging, skipping, cycling, and swimming or climbing stairs at work (if there are any?) to burn more energy.