Question
Posted by: Helena of Dooi | 2005/12/05

Euthanasia

Re: my grandfather.

Why stop him from shooting himself of taking too much sleeping tablets?

It's his life if he want's to do it why not?

He cant read or watch tv or feed himself of do anything. He has no quality of life left!

If it was me I'd want to go. He even said to my mother don't worry it wont be for long anymore.

Many people have strong religious views that would lead them to forbid euthanasia. Yet, especially when the situation actually applies to ourselves, less people find the idea appalling. People seem especially keen to forbid such options to other people.
One thing is clear, that it is not acceptable where someone has a treatable depression, or is overburdened by symptoms that skilled medical care ought to be able to control for them.

12
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/12/06

I lived in Holland for many years and euthenasia is legal there. But only in certain circumstances. When my sister-in-law was so exhausted from the pain her cancer caused, she asked for it. On a Friday afternoon in the company of her closest dear ones, she passed away peacefully.
Euthenasia is not a 'make an end to my life' solution but rather a peaceful way for those who will never get better to end their suffering.

Reply to waterblom
Posted by: ~ | 2005/12/05

I agree whole heartedly with Carol. My father also commited suicide althought his circumstances where different. I watch how some are taken from us in their prime and others are left to suffer..I definately do not understand the grand scheme of things theory.

Its one thing to be angry when we lose a friend who is still young, has just started a family etc etc, but to watch someone suffer, thats something else all together. I watch how much pain she is in, how alone she is (she lost the husband she dedicated her life to 20 years ago) how a true lady has been stripped of her dignity, how she is completely dependant on others and the humiliation she endures every time someone has to assist her with basic bodily functions - its just not right.

Yes Carol, the vet says when your beloved animal starts losing quality of life and cant enjoy the things it used to then its time to let go and put that animal to sleep. Why cant we afford humans that last dignity?

I must admit, if she asked me to assist her in ending it I would not instantly dismiss that request.

Reply to ~
Posted by: Carol | 2005/12/05

Tricky one , my dad comitted suicide two weeks ago , he was ill in pain and suffering , IMO he should have had the choice to end his agony peacefully with his familly near him.

I lost my mom to cancer she used to beg us to take her life , i honestly think there are circumstances where it should be an individuals choice , a choice to die with dignity rather than alone . But the circumstancesMUST warrant the descision.

If my dog is suffering i will take him to the vet to be put down ....

my 2 cents only however.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/05

One last thing. There is another person that has just posted about suicide, so please be very careful about what you say.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/05

This is a very "HOT" topic. But I will say one more thing and then no more. If I had not been stopped when I wanted to take my life, where would my children be today? I know there are all sorts of different circumstances, but suicide or taking one's own life is never the answer.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: HoT | 2005/12/05

But if YOU wanted to end your life why do people take away what you could use to do it ? Is it their decision ?

No, I think not.

Reply to HoT
Posted by: Karen | 2005/12/05

Frusty

My Mom was 48, within 6 weeks of the diagnosis of liver cancer she was gone.

I hear what you are saying and I agree. I guess

it's for selfish reasons I wish I hadn't had to watch her suffer.

Something we have no control of I suppose.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: HoT | 2005/12/05

My grandfather was never and still is not a kind man. He asks why does nobody visit him, well what kind of father and granfather has he been?

Maybe it's punishment ?

Reply to HoT
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/12/05

Laat ek maar liewer my mond hou hierso want netnou begin ek weer HOEKOM moes Ne suffer omdat haar ma haar wou abort het ?

Hoekom kon die Ma nie gef*k gewees het vir life en Ne normaal nie...nope ek ga dit net hier los!

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/05

I hear what you are saying, CP MOM. I don't think we will ever really understand why some things happen as they do. My mother suffered for two years before she passed away at the very young age of 49. She had five brain tumours and cancer. When I say she suffered, I really mean she suffered. So, no, I don't understand why these things happen, but I do accept that they do happen.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/12/05

So our "creator" found it good to take my aunt the other day that was healthy and fine and has kids to provide for

Yet he's not taking my granddad who's also sick and since my grandmom got nothing to live for anymore ?

Ja Frusty soos jy se dis 'n baie moeilike subject....

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/05

Oooooo, very dangerous subject. My thoughts are as follows: Life isn't ours to give or take as we please. Our creator decides for us when he wants us back in his arms.

And now we are going to have a maelstorm of answers.

Reply to Frusty