Question
Posted by: Jacky | 2003/02/19

Eustachian Tube blocked

Dear Doc,

After a severe flu, I started to hearing a ringing noise in my ear. I went to see an ENT surgeon and he told me that my Eustachian Tube is blocked as it is swollen (due to the flu) and this is causing the ringing sound. He prescribed the following medicines:

1. Amoxcyillin 250 mg (3 times per day)
2. Mucodyn
3. Fenistil 24

I started taking those pills since this Monday and I haven't noticed any considerable change of my condition. I just would like to know if the above pills will be effective and when is suppose to start acting against my problem. The sound that I hear is only in my right hear and is of a very mild nature.

Jacky, I have no idea what Mucodyn or Fenistil 24 is, but your ENT is definitely very conservative when it comes to antibiotics. I would have doubled the dosage and at least have given you an anti-inflammatory drug. If it hasn’t cleared up by the time you receive this, the best would be to see your GP and ask him for stronger drugs. Good luck.