Question
Posted by: Jan | 2007/12/04

etting rid of the "tube"

Hi there.

I am 37 years young. I know I am over weight I want to do something about it. My problem area is around the waist. Being a bachelor results in not having good eating habits. Not that it is an excuse, it’s just the way it is for me. I have started taking Vital supplements (the adult one and Omega 3 & 6). I also like walking in the evenings. I walk between 1 and 2 hours 2 to 3 times a week. Not in the gym but in the area where I stay. My work is office related and I am sitting most of the day. I do not drink anything containing alcohol but I am a smoker.

Could you please advise me the best way to get rid of the tube that cover my (future) six pack ha ha.

Dear Jan
You have started on the road towards improving your health and weight by improving your eating habits and walking which is one of the best forms of aerobic exercise. If you could also give you the smoking, your health would improve even further. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). You will see that many of the suggested foods can be purchased ready-made, so all it takes is a bit of planning to buy the correct foods and take them along to the office. If your main problem is abdominal fat, then it will also help to do exercises that target the stomach such as situps. Start gradually and work on increasing how many situps you do every day.
Good luck with this regimen