Question
Posted by: Jean | 2008/01/08

Ethical doctor?

Hi, I have a family member who has been constantly for the last 4 years on various anti depressant & sleeping medication (atarax), of which she takes large dosages daily (expample:atatrax 6 daily). She claims she cannot cope without it. On top of that she is constantly in and out of the doctors rooms with problems such as cirises, spastic colon and other stress related illnesses.

What I would like to know is what is the long term effect of these kind of medications are, obviously she is addicted, and is it ethical for a GP to continue to prescribe it for such a long period without refering the patient to a more qualified specialist such as a psycologist?

Dear Jean
I agree with you, she probably needs to see a psychiatrist.