Question
Posted by: A.J. | 2007/12/19

Essential Tremor

I am a 43 year old male diagnosed with E.T. in my hands and occasionly in my neck when i get stressed. At rest i dont shake at all only when i have to perform a task that requires some level of concentration. The tremors are worse in my left hand and have reasently manifested in my right hand as well. I can't hold a cup of tea anymore or work with sissors or a knife as i end up injuring myself. I sufferred from depression and anxiety for the last 10 years but have recovered . Could this have caused the E.T. and what meds are there available for my condition, beta-blockers or benzodiopenes

Essential Tremor is itself, that is, not caused by anything else ( like Essential Hypertension is high blood pressure without any other apparent cause ). SO I don't see it as likely to be causally related to prior Depression / Anxiety or its treament. Beta-blockers do seem to help many folks. I prefer not using benzos due to their potential for producing dependence with long-term use. But with such an annoying problem as you describe, they might be worth considering if they actually work for you. Maybe with an occasioanal Drug Holiday, a break from the medicine during which the benefits generally continue, they may not cause such problems