Question
Posted by: sceptical | 2007/12/20

essential oils

Hi Doc,

Could (or is) it true that the essential oils, frankincense,mixed with aqueous cream (or jojoba carrier oil) can treat wrinkles? This is widely praised on the internet(use essential oils only diluted in carrier oils or a base cream though). Now today I saw a natural product website advertising the oils - frankincense, myrrh, and spikenard in cream OR oil base - used for mature skin.

Some of these oils are expensive, so what results can one expect from them as described above, but then again, most anti ageing (wrinkle) creams/serums cost a good few hundred rand,
and are reported to be a waste of money.
I think South Africa should have "skin product review"website, where consumers can tell others about their experiences with these products(read reviews before you buy?)

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello “Skeptical”, thank you for the question.

According to the American Botanical Society, frankincense does have properties to help both dry and mature skin. Furthermore, they state that there are no human clinical studies available on the external or topical uses of myrrh.
Unfortunately, the only information I can find on spikenard is that it is mostly used in aromatherapy, but that there may be some benefit as an anti-inflammatory and anti-infective.

I agree with you 100% that SA should have a skin product review of some sort, and there is nothing stopping all of us, starting one right here. Once it gets off the ground and there seems to be sufficient interest, I am sure health24.com will oblige and start a new forum for us.

I feel that I should comment that topical creams and applications, with the correct ingredients, will have an effect on the skin and that if one chooses wisely they will not be a waste of money. The choice of ingredient is dependent on the general state of the skin, the age of the skin, and what one would like to achieve with the end result.