Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/01/31

Espiride 50mg

I just found out I am pregnant. I am on Leximal (10mg) for panic attacks and depression. I get nervous nausea and was so worried about the morning sickness I considered terminating the pregnancy

I went to my psychiatrist and he prescribed Espiride 50mg in the morning and 50mg at lunch time. He said this would stop me from getting morning sickness

Is this true? Will this work? What are the side effects?

Espiride is an odd drug peculiarly popular among SA doctors and much less so anywhere else in the world. As your shrink has recommended it, try it according to his instructions, and see if it helps you. He should have discussed possible side-effects with you, and your pharmacist should also do so, and supply a package insert with listings of all side-effects.
Some early morning nausea is common in early pregnancy, but your anxiety and expectation of being nauseous probably creates or amplifies the nausea that troubles you. There are many alternative treatments available for depression and anxiety, including CBT style counselling which is effective without side-effects, especially in pregnancy.

1