Question
Posted by: Rusty | 2003/12/16

esophagitis and hiatal hernia

my husband(age 78) has suffered a esophageal stenosis and the physician diagnosed hiatal hernia. he has been a fairly heavy drinker and is trying to cut down on that. Is there a diet that you can recommend for him to follow. I am at my wits end thinking what to prepare for him. He is still swallowing with a bit of difficulty. I would value your advice.

Dear Rusty
When a patient has a serious condition which requires special foods, it is always better to consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a nutritious, so-called 'soft diet' for him (Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian). In the meanwhile, I do hope that your hubby has been given appropriate medication to treat his condition. If not, then Please ask the dr to prescribe medications for him. Besides taking medications and avoiding all spicy and fatty foods, and all alcohol and gassy or caffeine-containing drinks (cola drinks, coffee, tea) some patients find that foods with an acid taste (oranges, lemons, pineapple, strawberries) and gas-producing foods (the cabbage family, raw onions and legumes) can also cause discomfort. This is an individual reaction, so it may help to keep a food diary and note down what foods cause your husband discomfort and then to avoid them. Stress is one of the most important factors in these conditions, so do try to get him to relax, by doing relaxing and deep breathing exercises - yoga is ideal.
Hope he feels better soon