Question
Posted by: anon | 2005/01/13

Erythema Multiforme

I am 33 years old. I was diagnosed with erythema multiforme (after years being misdiagnosed as having eczema (the last six years and using quadriderm and celestamine on longterm bases). My dematoligist says that the erythema multiforme is caused by the herpes virus (cold sores). So whenever I get a cold sore I will get the allergic reaction to it. I am now using Zelitrex. What is the longterm effects of Zelitrex? Does it contain cortisone (steroids)? How is it then that even when I do not have a cold sore I sometimes still get the allergic reaction (blisters) although on a slighter scale (no itching, not blister - just the red spot coming out)? I also suffer from hairloss. Is still as a result of continued use of the Zelitrex? I use the Zelitrex 1 (500mg) a day unless I have a breakout then I use x3 a day.

Anon, Zelitrex® is an antiviral medication and does not contain any cortisone. Hair loss isn’t a common side effect and it is more likely to be due to the Celestamine®. Good luck.