Question
Posted by: Harry | 2002/12/17

Erection

Hi, I am 23...and sometimes, i get a really hard erection, so start having sex, but after a few moments i go limp? whats the problem? stress? diet? Thanks

There are always 2 sides to a story: so lets first look at Physical causes:
1) Drugs are the most common treatable cause of erection problems. Examples are sedatives, medication to control high blood pressure (antihypertensives), water tablets (diuretics) medication for depression (antidepressants), weight control drugs, peptic ulcer drugs, alcohol, nicotine and certain strong pain medication (opiates)

2) Blood flow abnormalities can cause erectile dysfunction. Diseases taht reduce blood flow to the penis include hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure, diabetes or Peyronies disease (scar tissue in the penis)

3) Nerve impulse abnormalities can cause erection problems. Conditions that reduce or interrupt nerve supply to the penid include diabetes, spinal cord injuries, strokes, pelvic surgery and alcoholism.

4) Hormonal abnormalities are another cause of erectile dysfunction. Problems taht disrupt the normal balance of hormones include testicular problems, kidney disease (and dialysis), liver disease and alcholism.

Psychological causes:
1) Depression lower's a man's energy and reduces his sex drive. He can't get an erection and that deepens his depression. Before erectile dysfunction can be resolved, depression and its causesw must first be treated.

2) Performance anxiety happens to most men at times. But if it persists, it can cause erectile dysfunction. Fear of failure raises anxiety. Thos prevents an erection, which leads to more fear of failure. It's a vicious cycle.

3) Stress caused by work, relationship, or financial worries can lead to erection problems. The more a man tries to get an erection when he's tense, the worse it gets. Stress causes erectile dysfunction, which in turn, increases stress.

4) Misinformation about sex can cause stress, performance anxiety and erectile dysfunction. Some men grow up with misguided ideas about how a "real man" should perform in bed.

Contact the SA Sexual Health Association 0860 - 100 - 262 and ask them for a free copy of the booklet: "Understanding Erectile Dysfunction"

Dr Mac

1
Posted by: All Guy | 2002/12/20

Harry, Doc's answer should help you understand some possible casues etc.

I hope you can get some success to overcome this problem it must be a frustration and probably seems to you that this sort of thing shouldn't or doesn't happen to men of your age. (it can be a problem for any man at any age)

I guess there can be lots of possible reasons and my only added suggestion would be that if your partner really loves you (that is it is not just a relationship of getting off) then encourage her to work with you on restoring you erection and ask her assistance in providing you with stimulation and help encouraging you to perform well for your sake as well as hers.

Make sure where you are bonking is private - if you have the worry of being disturbed you'll not perform well.

Harry, at 23 I hope you can get over this one and get on with longlasting hard-ons and great sex.
You deserve the best that a man can have - be positive - work at it and make it happen.

Reply to All Guy