Question
Posted by: trivoli | 2003/02/06

Erectile Dysfunction

Hi there.
I seem to have aproblem to maintain my erection after ejaculating. I then struggle to get an erection again. Therefore my wife cannot get the satisfaction she want or what i want to give her. I am 25 yrs of age and cannot understand this at all. What can I do or use that will resolve this asap ?

If I can get something on my medical aid it will be even better ...

This is really urgent please !

Thx
Trivoli

Lets quickly do Matric Biology,as it seems you've forgotten a bit:

There are five main stages to the sexual response cycle:
Desire (also called libido). This stage, in which a man or woman begins to want or "desire" sexual intimacy or gratification, may last anywhere from a moment to many years.
Excitement (also called arousal). This stage, which is characterized by the body’s initial response to feelings of sexual desire, may last from minutes to several hours.
Plateau. This stage, the highest point of sexual excitement, generally lasts between 30 seconds and three minutes.
Orgasm. This stage, the peak of the plateau stage and the point at which sexual tension is released, generally lasts for less than a minute.
Resolution. The duration of this stage—the period during which the body returns to its preexcitement state—varies greatly and generally increases with age.

So, after you have reached orgasm,ejaculated you will move onto resolution. Resolution is the period following orgasm, during which muscles relax and the body begins to return to its preexcitement state. Immediately following orgasm, men experience a refractory period, during which erection cannot be achieved (the duration of this period varies among individuals and increases with age). Women experience no refractory period—they can either enter the resolution stage or return to the excitement or plateau stage immediately following orgasm.

So, what you are describing sounds all very normal, except that you might be coming to quickly and hence not satisfying your partner.

Maybe a visit to Men's clinci international 0860 362 867, or contact SA Sexual Health association 0860 100 262 for more info on Premature ejaculation. Also see the archives.

Dr Mac