Question
Posted by: Anna | 2007/12/12

Epileptic cat

My cat is having petit mal seizures about once a week. They last about 10 seconds, during which she goes rigid and cries out. But afterwards she seems fine and there is nothing wrong with her appetite or general health. She is ten years old. I noticed the first seizure about 3 months ago, and recognised the symptoms instantly. What should I do?

Please have your pet examined by your vet as they may be a mild medication that can be used to control the seizures without sedating the cat.

4
Posted by: Melbalina | 2007/12/18

Thanks Anna, will keep fingers crossed!

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: anna | 2007/12/13

Just to let everyone know I took the cat to the vet and she has been put on medication to lower her blood pressure. We'll see whether this improves the situation - if not, she'll be going onto anti-seizure medication. But she seems fine.

Reply to anna
Posted by: Melbalina | 2007/12/12

I agree with Blaah. She needs to be on daily medication to manage the seizures (which is really cheap, by the way). Do keep us posted please Anna.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/12/12

get her to the vet
it will get worse without treatment
there are medications that can help

but do it asap
the sooner the better
and better th results

Reply to Blaah