Question
Posted by: Mientjie | 2007/05/02

Epileptic

Been on Epilum, anti epileptic tablets for 5 years and understand it effects bone density, that leads to osteophorosis. What can I do to hinder it. Already have feeling that I am shorter and has dropped a shoe size. Am 57years and female.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Mientjie
I assume you have gone through the menopause already. Were you on any hormone replacement therapy?
If yes, this would have helped protecting the bones. You also need to go for a bone density measurement to determine what the state of your bone mass is and whether you need active therapy. Other lifestyle measurements i.e. a diet rich in dairy with a calcium intake of at least 1000mg per day, regular weightbearing exercise, no smoking and a limited alcohol intake will also help maintain bone mass. If you want more inforamtion, please contact me at the National Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 931 7894.

1
Posted by: Mientjie | 2007/05/03

Thanks for information and yes I am on HRT. Been for a bone density test 3years ago and at that stage I was mildlyat risk. At the moment overseas, but will be in touch when I get back to S.A.

Reply to Mientjie