Question
Posted by: Eve | 2003/01/30

Epilepsy Medication

My little sister is on medication (phenytoin 2 at night) and degranol (1) three times a day) for epilepsy. She has come to live with me permanently and she has been with me for a month. She's had a seizure during the night after approximately a year . Should medication be taken specifically on time each day? Can you advise me as to what caused the seizure.

Eve, the exact time you take the medication isn’t nearly as important as taking it every day. I doubt that the seizure was brought on by her not taking her medication at the same time every day, but it might mean that she is outgrowing her present prescription (as she becomes bigger she will need to increase her dosage). You can have blood taken to determine whether she’s getting enough medicine and then take it from there. Good luck.