Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2006/07/17

Epilepsy in genes

My fiance are planning to begin a family as soon as possible after our wedding. I recently found out that he is scared to have kids because of his epilepsy. It was something on his brain that he had all his life, but he had a few operations about 4 years ago and only had about 3 attacks in that 4 years. I asked a few questions about it, I found out that he was born with instruments. His mom also said that he had a red mark on his head after the birth which could have been the instruments used at birth. He is now scared that his children will also get it, even though it could have been caused at his birth with an instrument. I told him that it will not be in his genes, but I'm not an expert to say so. Is there a chance that it will affect us when having a baby??

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Jenn

Some forms of epilepsy can be inherited but it is very rare. If he is the only person in his family with this problem it is very unlikely that his children will also have the same condition.

Regards, Maritha