Question
Posted by: daisy | 2007/06/20

Epilepsy drugs

I am a person with temporal lobe epilepsy, 46 years old and female. At the moment I am using Tegretol 200CR tablets, 2 x 1 a day and Eltroxin for hypo-thiroidism. The epilepsy is under control, but the Tegretol is causing drowsiness and weight gain. My question is, are there any new drugs available with less side-effects?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Tegretol is one of the oldest drugs on the market. There are plenty of newer drugs that may be used as alternative. If you have medical aid they should pay for these - Discuss a suitable treatment plan for your condition with your doctor