Question
Posted by: katy | 2003/12/11

Epilepsy and birth

I was in a accident, had a head injury and as a result suffered from epilepsy for several years. Eventually I went to a specialist in PTA who prescribed topomax, I used several types of anti-seizure medication and found that topomax worked effectively. Gradually the seizures subsided untill I stopped medication all together. Been of medication for two years without a fit. THis year July a best friend of mine died in a car accident. With all the activity I had a seizure at the funeral as we were putting her to rest. Although I wasn't aware I was 6weeks pregnant at that stage. My question is, since I still fear the side effects of a seizure during child birth what would you recommend as I do not want to jeopardise the health of my unborn baby.

Seizure frequency can increase during pregnancy. I would suggest that you discuss this with your gynaecologist. It may be necessary to start you on anti-epileptic medication again, though I am not sure that this is necessary after just one recent fit.