Question
Posted by: bmg | 2007/11/30

Epilepsy

I was wondering if someone could give me a bit more information about epileptic seizures. I have an 8 year old cousin, who has been having “blacking out spells” for the past few weeks. It was noticed recently noticed by her parents when she “zoned out” in a very public place, almost as if she were in a trance. She was not responding to her name nor to any form of stimulation. She has no recollection of the incident either. I know that there are several forms of epilepsy, does anyone know what form this is or where it falls on the spectrum? Also what forms of treatment are available? Is this something she will have for life?

Any form of information would be very appreciated.

Dear BMG

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It sounds like if your cousin suffers from Petite Mal episodes. I suggest that you take your cousin to a Neurologist, in order to start the correct treatment, as well as confirming the diagnoses. Please note that it might be possible that your cousin will out grow these symptoms.

Kind regards