advertisement
Question
Posted by: Heléne | 2007/02/26

Epilepsy

Both my children started experiencing epileptic attacks at the age of 3 and there is no apparent reason for the attacks. We were told that this is genetic. We are unaware of any other family members that get epilepcy. Should I be looking for other reasons for the attacks? Or is it generally accepted that epilepcy is generic? Are you aware of other persons who also have more than one child that gets epileptic attacks?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Helene

Some forms of epilepsy are genetically inherited and it seems as if this condition follows an autosomal recessive inheritance pattern in your family. It means that you and your husband may be nomal carriers with a 25% chance that your children will inherit one defective copy of the gene from each parent. If this is the case, there is also a 25% chance of a normal pregnancy and 50% chance of carrier children who will also not be affected.

Regards, Maritha

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement