Question
Posted by: Heléne | 2007/02/26

Epilepsy

Both my children started experiencing epileptic attacks at the age of 3 and there is no apparent reason for the attacks. We were told that this is genetic. We are unaware of any other family members that get epilepcy. Should I be looking for other reasons for the attacks? Or is it generally accepted that epilepcy is generic? Are you aware of other persons who also have more than one child that gets epileptic attacks?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Helene

Some forms of epilepsy are genetically inherited and it seems as if this condition follows an autosomal recessive inheritance pattern in your family. It means that you and your husband may be nomal carriers with a 25% chance that your children will inherit one defective copy of the gene from each parent. If this is the case, there is also a 25% chance of a normal pregnancy and 50% chance of carrier children who will also not be affected.

Regards, Maritha