Question
Posted by: Joleen | 2004/01/09

Enzymes in fruit

I read somewhere that if you eat fruit you should wait a little while before you eat anything else for the "enzymes to go down"... what is this about? I am trying to lose weight.

Dear Joleen
This is one of those urban myths associated with food intake. The enzymes contained in fruit are proteins which will be digested in the human gastrointestinal tract no matter when you eat them. Humans are omnivores and we are perfectly capable of digesting a mixed diet. To lose weight you need to decrease your energy intake by eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and expend more energy by doing regular exercise (join a good gym or Walk for Life).