Posted by: Miri | 2009/06/24


I had asthma from 6-12 yrs,now 35 no sign of it. I always had bad hayfever and sinus at the coast but since moving to JHB 10 yrs ago it has improved somewhat but not totally, i have also had my tonsils out and am generally allergy prone ie. dust, and get a bit mucusy when lots of cow' s milk is consumed even thought the test said neg for allergy.

As a young adult i always would get sore throats very often, i remember samples of throat being sent for tests by gp' s. I am still generally prone to sore throats and also have a multi nodular goitre, harmless cysts been removed 2x and the others shrank on elthroxin, which i do not take anymore.

The gp' s of today no longer do throat swabs, i can only get to an ENT every 3 yrs or so, is there a nd for concern re the constant throat infections? My husband also has HPV virus (the wart) so i assume i have it to, i read an article that having this wart virus can make one susceptible to throat cancer? i worry about this....when should i really worry,?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Miri

A sore throat can be caused by the following and need to be excluded by your GP / ENT.

1. Chronic throat infection - viral (the HPV virus usually will cause little visible warts in your throat), bacterial or fungal (thrush, which is white plaques on the tongue, throat), TB, etc.

2. Throat cancer will usually be associated with painful swallowing, difficulty in eating, painful throat, painful ears, loss of weight. The pain does not usually come and go, but is persistent and will get worse with time. HPV is associated with certain cancers in adults and if you are worried you should go for a full ENT examination.

3. Acid reflux: You can have obvious symptoms of heartburn or just a chronic throat irritation / feeling of phlegm in the throat, a hoarse voice or chronic sore throat. If you have symptoms of heartburn your GP can refer you to a gastroenterologist for further investigations.

I would therefore suggest you do the following:
1. Make sure your thyroid functions are regularly checked.
2. See your GP or visit an ENT to do a thorough ENT examination and to exclude the above.

Throat swabs are very seldom necessary and will most likely not be too helpfull in your case.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.