Question
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/05

Enriching your life

People who post here (including myself) often have problems including depression, lack of self esteem, not being assertive enough... So when I read the article on volunteering at the top of the H24 page (Getting high on doing good) I decided to advertise it on this forum as I thought it applies so positively to many of CS's posters. Below is an extract from the article.

According to The Health Benefits of Volunteering: A Review of Recent Research (2007), which analyses two decades of scientific enquiry into the topic, volunteers are fitter, saner, more functional in old age and longer-lived than non-volunteers.

And it’s not because volunteers are superior specimens to begin with. Social scientists believe it’s the volunteering activities themselves that make you healthier: they strengthen community bonds and reduce social isolation, improve self-esteem and foster a sense of purpose and accomplishment – and in so doing reduce the ravages of stress on mind and body. There’s compelling evidence that volunteering lowers rates of heart disease and depression, and boosts the immune system.

The most tantalising nugget of research unearthed is something called the “helper’s high”: the act of giving your time and services (yes, money works too) has been shown to lead to feelings of calm and mild euphoria, an endorphin-fuelled state similar to the “runner’s high”, or “getting in the zone” during meditation.

Thanks, Maria --- there's hope for most of us yet ! I often ) for some reason more frequently until recently ) recommend that people who are becoming perhaps over self-absorned in their own problems, get involved in volunteer work, to help others and to help themselves to get things into better perspective. A "win-win" situation.
Now I wonder, with the "helper's high" theory, we know that some runners, related in part to the similarity between endorphins and opiates, can become addicted to the runner's high --- maybe some fiolks get "addicted" to helping ?

3
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/05

Always work through the Christmas season, but am used to it.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/05

Hi Hope*, I'm on leave between Christmas and New Year, and for 3 days after New Year. We won't go away, just chilling at home and planning to unpack some boxes that have been stored in the garage for almost 2 years now! And you?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/05

Thanks Maria, I will definitely go and read this article. I must say that I love reading Health24 articles, hardly buy magazines anymore, this forums articles are far better.
Are you going on leave or working through December?
Have a lovely day!

Reply to Hope*