Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/06/19

Enquiry

Hi there CS

I am trying to obtain information on split personalities or any personality disorders. I have a friend who smokes dagga, at least he says this is all he smokes. He behaves very strange sometimes, every alternative day or two actually to be specific. The behavior varies from talking of dying or telling me he is going to try and swallow poison to see how effective the poison is.When i question him about it on the same day he just laughs and says he is joking. When i speak to him the next day he is completely 'normal' and when i question him about the day before he either forgets or pretends to forget what we spoke about before. I find this type of irregular behaviour extemely frustrating as he is usually highly intelligent and balanced at times. Could this type of behaviour indicate a personality disorder.

Please advise if you are able to

Look for any basic psychology textbook, which should discuss personality disorders in detail, and even a google search should turn up mounds of material.
There is no such thing as a Split Personality, that was an ignorant and mistaken journalist's popular term, at one time, for Schizophrenia. What you describe in your friend is indeed odd, and must be very frustrating for you, but there's not much that can be done about it unless and until he recognizes that there is indeed a problem, and he sees a shrink for an assessment and advice.