Question
Posted by: Lee-Anne | 2002/12/19

Enought calories for an active lifestyle?

Hi Doc,

I am 1.68m and my weight vary between 60 - 62kgs. On average I do two 40min strength training sessions a week and I do between 3 to 5 20min - 30min sessions on the treadmill (I vary my training intensity according to my energy levels). My question is the following:

I seem to feel burned out from my training program and cannot seem to improve my performance at all, but I cannot imagine that I am not overdoing it. Do I maybe not consume enough calories?

I try to follow a healthy diet to improve my fitness and performance. My daily diet consist of:

Oatso Easy and fruit for breakfast
Cheese, ham or peanut butter sandwich for lunch (3 slices of bread)
Fruit or yogurt snack
Dinner consisting of low fat meat, two vegetables and 1/2cup to 3/4cup of rice, pasta or potato
Occasional snack before bedtime - yogurt, fruit or rusk

I stay hungry through-out the day and have cravings for carb rich foods.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lee-Anne

Dear Lee-Anne
Seeing that your present BMI = 21,3, which is slightly below your ideal of 22, you are certainly not overweight and I think you need to increase the amount of carbs and milk you are ingesting. Your body is telling you that it needs more carbs and if you eat unprocessed carbs like an extra slice of wholewheat bread and jam at breakfast and have Provita at each between meal snack, you won't gain weight. You are not getting enough milk, use the low-fat, or skim varieties, so that you can push up your calcium intake. If you don't have enough calcium you will feel tired because calcium is not only essential for strong bones and teeth, but for the nervous system to function properly. So boost your carb intake (also consider using Energade before, during and after exercise - dilute it a bit if you find it is too filling) and ensure that you have more calcium in your diet (3 cups of milk or yoghurt a day).

1
Posted by: Lee-Anne | 2002/12/20

Thank you for the advise!

Reply to Lee-Anne