Question
Posted by: lee | 2006/03/31

Enough time to get 'fit'?

Hi. I have a swim test round about the 18th of April.. I havent been to gym in 2 months. If I go every day until the 10th will it make any difference at all?

Hi Lee

It will make a difference, of course. It's not easy to say how long people take to get fit, because it varies so much from person to the next, but there are people who actually find that within a week of starting exercise, they are already much fitter than before. Others take a month or two. But the bottom line is that in the next 2 weeks, you can go one of two ways - you can either get slightly fitter and work on your technique, or you can train super-hard, and probably pick up an injury. So the point is that you have to be very very careful that you don't overdo it - ten days is enough to pick up an injury, not enough to get superfit. So my advice is to get in the water, work on your technique, try to get accustomed to swimming again, and then do the test as well as you can, as fresh as you can. The worst thing to do is to panic and overdo the training,and then you may end up exhausted on the day of the test.