Question
Posted by: denise | 2006/04/05

ENOUGH FEED???

MY SON WAS BORN AT 32 WEEKS AND WEIGHED 4LB. HE WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 2 WEEKS AND DID NOT NEED VENTALATION. HE WENT THRO A PERIOD OF BEING VERY HUNGRY TAKING UP TO 200ML PER 4 HOURLY FEED. BUT OVER THE LAST 3/4 WEEKS HE IS TAKING APPROX 150ML PER FEED. HE IS GAINING WEIGHT - BUT IS COLIC, AND THEREFORE CANT TAKE AS MUCH AS HE LIKES. HE IS ALSO ONLY TAKING 4 HOURLY FEEDS FOUR TIMES A DAY - HE SLEEPS 8.00PM - 8.OOAM. HE STARTED SOLIDS 7 DAYS AGO -ABOUT A TEASPOON A DAY. HE IS ALSO TEETHING. I AM WORRIED HE IN SOT GETTING ENOUGH FORMULA MILK ( ON AVERAGE 600- 750ML A DAY). HE WEIGHS APPROX 13LB 8 OZ. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET HIM TO TAKE MORE. HE SEEMS VERY CONTENT AND HAPPY. ALSO, THE BACK OF HIS HEAD IS MORE FLAT ON ONE SIDE THAN THE OTHER (IS THIS NORMAL?) THANKS SO MUCH FOR OUR HELP!!!

WORRIED & DISTRESSED MUM!!

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Denise

Thanks for your questions. On his current weight he can take up to about 930ml of milk in 24 hours, but if he is content with the amount he gets it is fine. Just make sure that he is alert when awake and has 6-8 wet nappies per day. If not, he is not getting enough. He is old enough for solids, especially because he is a bottle fed baby. You can increase his solids. Give him veggies – one new taste per week. Also weigh your baby once a month and make sure that he is gaining weight according to the graph on his chart.

The flat head might develop because this is the area that he laid on the most. Try and rotate him and put him on his tummy when awake. This might unfortunately not correct and his head might be shape a bit flat for live.

Enjoy your little one. What you experience is normal.

King regards

1
Posted by: DENISE | 2006/04/11

Thank you so much for your reply. He is doing great - and taking more bottle now than last week. Also, taking solids and loving them!!

you are correct about that part of the head - he lies on it all the time. - I will try to rotate as much as possible - again thank you for your help!

Reply to DENISE