Question
Posted by: Kay | 2004/12/20

Enlarged tonsils

Dear cyberdoc
I am 25 and female.

Firstly, I have had enlarged tonsils (so large that most GP's get a fright when they see them) since I can remember I have probably only been diagnosed once with tonsillitis. However when I do get a sore throat it is very sore not more than 2 or 3 times a year. Secondly, I snore which I forgot to tell the ENT I saw. Thirdly, I have permanently enlarge glands in my neck.

My GP suggested I see a ENT some or other time just to check them out as they look "normal" i.e. not infected but they are enlarged. Since I had medical savings left this year I decided to got see an ENT. Her "diagnosis" was that my 1 tonsil is larger than the other (call for concern) and that as my glands are constantly swollen with an infection present (or having had one in the last month or 2) she recommended I take my tonsils out within the next 3 months. She would send them for testing for TB and anything else?

Should I get a second opinion or do you think there is anything else I can do?

I have read scary things about asymmetrical tonsils on the net.... Lymphoma.... cancer etc.... HELP!!

Kay, I doubt that you have to worry about cancer too much because it has been like this for a long time. The fact that you’re snoring seems to imply that your adenoids are also enlarged, so having the operation doesn’t sound like a bad idea from this side of the screen. The safest would be to get a second opinion from a different ENT, but I doubt that it is necessary. Good luck.