Question
Posted by: Sonja | 2007/02/20

Enlarged testicles at birth

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. He however had problems with is testicles at birth. He was born with enlarged testicles due to presure of womb fluid. Today his testicles appear perfectly normal and he does not have any problems with them. He was told via information etc that due to the problem he had at birth he can now face a posibility of infertility. Thusfar he did not go to a doctor as yet. I just want to find out more about this condition he had and whether it will indeed lead to complications in our mission to conceive a baby. Thank you.

Dear Sonja

The condition you are referring to is most likely that of testicular hydrocoeles. In general this should have no bearing on sperm production in the long term. However, for the sake of clarity it would be advisable to have a sperm analysis done so as to ensure there are no surprises.