Question
Posted by: Cant Decide | 2006/04/21

English or afrikaans maternity ward

Hi there Doc,

I'm being pushed in every which way to choose between two hospitals to give birth in - I'm 7 months pregnant and my current gynae (afrikaans) only uses Durbanville mediclinic in Cape Town (predom afrikaans staff) - Shes always had a little trouble comunicating with me I think - and I presume its the language barrier....now I have people telling me that its going to be a terrible experience giving birth in a ward where people will struggle to communicate with you when you're at your limit.... Family members recommend Vincent Palotti because it english and we had a family friend that was a nurse in the ward about 10 years ago...but this means changing to an english gynae that uses vincent palotti....

I just dont know who to listen to anymore, and becasue the pressure on to make a decision now I'm even more confused...

Is there any advise you can give me?? ANYTHING would help me out right now

Many Thanks,
Can't Decide

Unless you are unhappy with your gynaecologist, I would suggest that you stay with her rather than changing at this stage.

6
Posted by: Can't Decide | 2006/04/21

Thanks all of you.....I think I should probably stick with my current gynae then - feel like friends and family are just being a bit over the top now - and the most important hing, is like you all say - I must be happy - no them :o) Thanks All :o)

Reply to Can't Decide
Posted by: Mary | 2006/04/21

I am afrikaans, and I can tell you that most Afrikaans people speak english really well, I think you are worrying for nothing, and everything should work out well for you.

If you can look past the tell tale accent that the hospital staff is Afrikaans you wil do just fine. Changing Gynae's now is not a good thing, because your doc knows all there is to know about you, your baby and hopefully met your hubby too.

Good luck, wishing you al the best.

PS. If you do decide to change to someone who speaks your own language, I am sure that will be fine too, as long as YOU feel comfortable with them.

Reply to Mary
Posted by: Silly | 2006/04/21

If you happy with your gynae then stick to her. Why should the language make a difference. Surely after 7 months of visits to her she can communicate to you in English or why did you stay with her. Sometimes people can be very silly to make issues out of nothing.

Reply to Silly
Posted by: Can't Decide | 2006/04/21

Has anyone ever had any trouble with being english in a predominantly afrikaans maternity ward - or vise versa? Am I worrying about nothing???

Thanks All...

Reply to Can't Decide
Posted by: Tieta | 2006/04/21

Its YOUR deision where you want to give birth, not your gynae's. Its a difficult decision, but rather change now than later. Ask your current gynae to transfer your files to your new gynae. Where in CPT are you???

Reply to Tieta
Posted by: Anet | 2006/04/21

Well I'm afrikaans and you know what at this stage of your game I really tink it is your choice but I think you GD is really unproffesional if she can not help you in your own lang. You konw what go the hospital that you prefer and fell comfy with.
Thinking of you.

Reply to Anet