Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2004/01/08

ENERGY LEVELS

Please help - I have just turned 50 - am battling with my weight and find I have no energy. I cannot stay awake past 9.00pm.

As a result of this I find if I even attempt to diet - my energy levels drop even lower and I am exhausted from morning till night.

Please can I have advice of how to keep up my energy levels throughout the day, particularly after 4.00pm as this is the time I like to go to gym.

HELP ME PLEASE

Dear Lynne
Feeling exhausted all the time can be due to so many different conditions (anaemia, hypoglycaemia, problems with hormones such as insulin, thyroid or even female hormones, depression, etc), that I would advise you to have a thorough medical checkup. Once we have a diagnosis we can see what dietary changes are required, e.g. for anaemia you would need to eat foods that are rich in iron and folic acid and also take an iron supplement for 3 or more months. So do go for that checkup.