Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2006/10/25

Energy Intake When Exercising

I have posted in this forum before and I would like to say that thanks to the information on this site mostly I have lost about 4-5 kilos. When I last posted you recommended that I should not go above 1600 calories but on the days that I exercise (I walk briskly for about 45 minutes three times a week), I am absolutely starving!!! Can I increase my calorie intake or will I regain the weight? Thanks.

Dear Charlie
Congratulations on losing those 5 kg. You can increase your energy intake on the days when you exercise by eating more unrefined and unprocessed carbohydrates (wholewheat bread, high-bran cereals, energy drinks, fruit and fruit juices). For tips on exercise diets click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women' esp the ones on carbohydrates. Increasing your carb intake moderately when you do brisk exercise should not cause weight gain. The carbs are used for fuel.