Question
Posted by: sonny | 2007/03/15

energy drinks on the GI diet

Hi I exercise three times a week in the evening. I need to give my self energy before and after i work out. I noticed most energy / isotonic drinks are high GI, any suggestions?
sonny

Dear Sonny
To fuel exercise you need high-GI foods/beverages, which is why the energy drinks contain readily-available carbohydrates. If you had to eat low-GI foods then you would first need to digest these foods to supply you with glucose that is used as a fuel. After exercise you need the high-GI foods/beverages to rapidly replenish your muscle and liver glycogen that has been used up during exercise. If you are diabetic, then if is not a good idea to have high-GI foods, but most athletes do use the high-GI drinks to fuel their exercise and replenish their glycogen after exercise with no ill effects. However, at the 'What is an ideal Sports Beverage' symposium I attended it was suggested that you can add protein to the sports drinks to assist with repair of muscle damage. Protein is low-GI and by adding some protein such as the product PeptoPro to your energy drinks you would lower the GI of the drinks to a certain extent and also gain the benefit of the muscle repair. See if you can obtain PeptoPro from your pharmacy and add a dose to your energy drinks.