Question
Posted by: pocca | 2006/04/06

Endomorph

I read your article on Survivor people and I can clearly see I am an endomorph. All very well, do you have any advice as to what would be the main focus as to loose weight? Obviuosly, if our bodies differ, our ways of weightloss should differ. I have a tendancy to accumulate fat on my abdominal area first.
I have had a eating disorder about 4-5 years ago, which only caused me to gain wieght, which I struggle to loose.
Any ideas?

Dear Pocca
Yes, endomorphs do have a more difficult time when it comes to losing weight because their build and genetic makeup tend to make them great hoarders of energy which gets deposited as fat in the abdominal area, the hips and thighs. To break this cycle you need to become as active as possible doing aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) every day to stimulate your metabolism and promote overall weight loss, plus targeted exercises for the tummy like sit-ups and pelvic thrusts. Don't work out with weights as this could make things worse. Combine the exercise with an energy-reduced slimming diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). But remember exercise is more important for ectomorphs than for other types of body build.