Question
Posted by: Just Wondering | 2007/03/12

Endometriosis & Ovarian Cancer

I wonder if anyone can assist. I have suspected endometriosis and am due to have a lap scope soon to confirm this. When speaking to a friend she said that if I do have endometriosis I am at much higher risk of getting ovarian cancer than women who don't have endometriosis. Is this true?

Thanks,

The association between endometriosis and ovarian cancer is complicated. There has been a small study which has shown an increased risk of ovarian cancer in women with endometriosis. However, it is not clear whether this may be due to the endometriosis, some of the treatments used or the fact that women with endometriosis have fewer children. ( having few or no children increases the risk of ovarian cancer). So the relationships are by no means clear.