Question
Posted by: Zee | 2004/02/24

Endometriosis - laparoscopy

I have endometriosis. What are the risks of delaying having a laparoscopy, besides a continuation of the pain and heavy periods? The ultrasound shows the cysts on both my ovaries are still quite small. I have already had a laparoscopy and a laparotomy. I have also had 9 months of Zoladex injections

I presume that the repeat laparoscopy is to see whether the treatment has worked and cleared up the endometriosis. Delaying the laparoscopy will mean that you won't know if there is residual endometriosis or not. If there is, it could become more extensive without treatment.

2
Posted by: Jo | 2004/02/26

HI there...
Well, I've had endo for about 10 years now... had countless laparoscopies, and even had a bowel resection 4 years ago.... yep, the endo was through to my bowel... and I went in again on Monday, had another colonoscopy, and it looks like the endo is back.... which means another bowel resection. Quite frankly, I've reached the stage in this disease where I'm feeling really angry about the pain and the countless trips into hospital. That, together with the fact that I have been trying to fall pregnant for the past couple of years, makes my frustration even greater. About Zolodex... I've had the injections, and yes, my medical aid paid for it. My Gynae submitted a chronic medication application on my behalf based on the severity of my condition, and the med aid approved it. The problem with this condition is that it never "goes away"... you are always going to have to have some form of "chemical" intervention to keep it under control. I also had some horrid symptoms with Zoladex... ie... the hot flushes, headaches and weight gain. So, I also had to use a patch to try to alleviate the symptoms. Anyway, thats my "view".... Are there any endometriosis support groups out there? I'm feeling like I'd really appreciate input from some others out there that know what it is like to deal with this problem... people that actually understand the emotions and frustrations involved....

Reply to Jo
Posted by: TTC | 2004/02/25

I cannot answer your question but I also have endometriosis, stage 3. I had a laparoscopy but they couldn't clear it all and suggested zoladex. Did this not work for you? And did the medical aid pay for it, as mine refuses which is why I haven't tried it yet.

Reply to TTC