Posted by: Cuba | 2008/10/27

Endometriosis - Could it be?

My sister is 37 and since last year has had what she describes as an excruciating pain around her lower abdomen. She has been to see the doctor several times and each time she is prescribed medication but no indication is given on the cause of her illness.
She had a baby around June and the pain had gone into remission during the gestation period.
My sister is not educated and thus intimidated(my opinion and observation) by the learned doctors to question them on her condition, the treatment, etc.
I have done my own research on the internet (online diagnosis ala Thabo Mbeki and Sis Manto, LOL) and from the way she describes her symptoms I suspect she is suffering from Endometriosis.
My questions are :-
1. Can this be cured/controled through medication or only through surgery
2. Can I intervene at her next Drs visit and enquire on whether this could be infact the cause of her traumatising pain?
3. Is there a place in GP where she can go to confirm the diagnosis without having to pay an arm and a leg - she has no medical aid and is a single Mom. I will be contributing to some of the medical expenses but have a limited budget.

Endometriosis can be treated with medication, depending on the stage. The fact that she has had a child recently would be against endometriosis though.
You can certainly go with her to her next visit if she is agreeable, and speak to her doctor.
The diagnosis of endometriosis can only be made with a laparoscopy which would have to be done by a gynaecologist.
The doctor may give you an indication of what he/she thinks the problem is though. It may not be what you think.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/25

During my last few menstrual cycles I have experienced clotting of various degrees. I do not always have clotting, but am concerned about why it is occurring. I have always suffered from dysmenorrhea and relatively heavy, but short, flow. Please advise what could be causing this. Thanks.