Posted by: Zeeba | 2009/02/03


When I was 14 I was raped but did not report to anyone, not even my parents. I got my period at the age of 17 and since that always experienced the worst period pains ever. The doctors put me on contraceptives to help with the pain but that did not help. I stopped using them and when I got sexually active at the age of 19, I started using again. I would use it for one month and then not use it for two months and so it went on. Until eventually I got tired as it was not helping with the pains. More than a year ago I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. The doctor took a scan and suggested I use Xycam and Ginette as part of this treatment. But this too didnt help. I went back to my doctor and he said I should stop the Xycam and continue with the Ginette. He also suggested I go for some kind of operation where they see how far the Endometriosis has spread, but because I am not on medical aid and have no funds I am not able to. For as long as I can remember I have had terrible pains everyday. It is the worst pains ever. When its my period it feels like I' m about to give birth. The pains are just too much. I am aware that I might be infertile from all of this, and at the stage that I would consider a hysterectomy as I would rather not have kids that have this horrible pain. I am turning 22 this year and its only getting worst. In this case, would a hysterectomy be possible?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

The first thing that has to be done is that the endometriosis should be confirmed via a laparoscopy. If you do have it, a hysterectomy is not the treatment. There are medications other than the Pill which are very effective. If it is advanced, the endometriosis can be surgically removed. It is not in the uterus and therefore a hysterectomy would not be the treatment of choice.
You might also consider counselling for your rape as psychological factors can cause pelvic pain.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Leigh | 2009/02/04

I honestly doubt it if your doctor will perform a hysterectomy, because you are so young and do not have any children yet. There are other alternatives available, depending on how far it has spread, if you do have endo. Speak to your gynae about alternative treatments.

hope it helps

Reply to Leigh
Posted by: IK | 2009/02/04

Hi Zeeba,

As far as my knowledge goes they can only diagnose endometreosis with a laparoscopy. (surgical procedure, not major surgery where they imake between 3 and 5 holes in your tummy. A small camera goes in each of the holes). I also had very bad endometreosis, and they removed it via this procedure. It does grow back however...

Reply to IK

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.