Question
Posted by: Sam | 2004/10/28

Endometriosis

I 23 and was diagnosed with Nedometriosis last year, I had a Laperoscopy, and laser treatment for my condition. What are my chances of falling pregnant, do I need to go for the laser treatment again, when planning for a baby? Is there anything more I can do to prevent it worsening?

Endometriosis can recur, but your best chance of pregnancy is soon after treatment, so go ahead and try. It would only be necessary for further treatment if you struggle to fall pregnant.

2
Posted by: Ang22 | 2004/11/01

I was diagnosed with endometriosis in May this year, I had a Laparoscopy early in May 2004,
I had the same diagnostics that you have
I am now 9 weeks and 4 days pregnant !
they told and conceive me to soon after my treatment for best results, my baby was conceived in September 04 '

Good Luck!!!
don’t give up hope I’m but one success story!

Reply to Ang22
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/29

Sam,
endo does return in some cases. You can take the pill continuously (not placebo's to start menstruation ) to stop having any periods. This mimicks pregnancy and reduces the chance of endo recurring. There are other hormone meds on the market, but it causes menopause symptomps which most women find hard to deal with.
When you are ready to fall pregnant give it a try for 6 months or more. If you are unable to fall pregnant, consult your gynae about your endo and a follow-up laparoscopy can be done to determine if your endo has returned. Infertility is associated with endo, however some people have no problem falling pregnant despite the endo.

Keep it in mind that you may struggle to fall pregnant due to the endo and let that guide your decision to start a family (sooner rather than later as you may need IVF or other fertility treatment). I am going on 33 and only discovered that I have endo this year. At this point we have been ttc for 2 and a half years without success. Next stop IVF. I wish we had not postponed having kids for so long, but there is no way to change the past.

Good luck with the endo. Do a search on the internet as there are many very helpful websites. One I can strongly recommend is: www dot ivf dot com. Select endometrioses for a comprehensive info.

Reply to Golly