Question
Posted by: The Great | 2004/10/27

Endogenic Depression

Dear Doc,

I was diagnosed late '99 for Depression and was under medication (Aropax) for the period of 18 months until Dec 2000. It is so unfortunate for me after 4 years that I was re-diagnose for the same illness and have to re-take Aropax. Is the anyway that I can fight this illness without medication (although, they worked fine last time)?. Does this mean that I'll be forever susceptible to depression until I die, if I'm not taking antidepressant?

TG, Depression is, in most cases, a recurrent disease. Medication can relieve individual episodes ; in some situations medication might help to prevent or lessen further attacks. It is possible that CBT ( COgnitive Behaviour Therapy ) can be equally effective as antidepressants, and with some lasting benefits, if you can find someone adept at providing this specific form of talking therapy --- otherwise no non-drug method has been shown to be effective, let along lastingly so.

2
Posted by: CAR | 2004/10/28

I was diagnosed earlier this year with Post Natal Depression and I can't think of any worse happening to any person and I would not wish this on anybody.

You feel like life is not worth living and what is the use. I am taking Cilift but I wonder somedays if it is even working because there are days that I feel worse, I have also been in hospital for depression.

There is such a stigma attached to depression people treat you like you have a disease and don't want to associate with you it is terrible I had such a bubbly personality before this happened to me and now I feel like a totally different person somebody that I don't like at all.

I just have to try and be positive ...

Reply to CAR
Posted by: The Friend | 2004/10/28

Aropax is a wonder drug, when used correctly. However you should be aware that finding out you have any form of Depression/Anxiety, is a life changing experience! It’s like learning to walk, once you have learned the facts it’s not easy to forget. There are various forms of depression and anxiety, most of which are brought on by life’s daily stress. The world tends to look at psychiatric medication as a crutch. So the stigma attached to using psychiatric medication is fairly big. I myself have suffered from a number of depression and anxiety disorders for most of my life. I have looked for answers in the strangest places and personally believe that as humans we need to understand what is happening to our minds, research as much as you can. So just like before a long trip, you will prepare yourself mentally for what’s ahead. Don’t be so hard on yourself if you have a chemical imbalance in the part of your brain that you have no physical control over, then the use of a drug is always and option, but not the last resort.

Reply to The Friend