Posted by: riki | 2008/10/18

Endocrine - fat storage?

Although my daughter 23, has a well balanced diet (3 meals) and exersizes 5/6 times a week she is overweight. (2 x gym 4 x 5km jog) does not help to loose weight. SHe is on Tricelest for acnee since 13 y. Does not eat inbetween. Legs are heavy and puffy. Thick anckles. She has an excellent self image and is very intelligent. Does the endocirne system plays a role?

Dear Riki
Many factors could be playing a role in the case of your daughter's overweight. On the one hand she could be consuming more energy than she needs despite eating 3 meals a day. Then the 10 years of taking a female hormone medication could have caused her weight gain. On the other hand genetics (heavy legs often run in families) or hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin or polycystic ovarian syndrome) could be involved. I think she should perhaps have a consultation with gynaecologist and/or a physician to see if she does not suffer from an endocrine imbalance. If she does and needs a low-GI diet then please take her to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to get her started on a low-fat, low-GI diet.
The fact that she does exercise 5-6 times a week is excellent and should be continued.