Question
Posted by: Karen | 2007/12/03

Endocardditis and antibiotics

Went to my GP on Friday and asked for antibiotics. Going for 2 fillings at Dentist tomorrow - and she said that the latest (2007) American heart foundation info says you don't need antibiotics for dental procedures if you have MVP with mild regurg.

am I save to go to the dentist tomorrow? what is the signs of Endocardditis?

Hallo Karen
It depends on whether the dentist is going to work on the gums as well: see http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11086
signs of endocarditis:
Chills and fever.
Fatigue.
Weight loss.
Night sweats.
Painful joints.
Persistent cough and shortness of breath.
Bleeding under the fingernails.
Tiny purple and red spots under the skin, called petechiae.

1
Posted by: Ruby | 2007/12/03

Hello, I am not a doctor, so wait for the doctor's reply :-) I also have MVP and were also not sure about the use of antibiotics. I had 2 surgeries in the last 6 months (both shoulders). For my left shoulder they did not give me antibiotics. For my right shoulder, the aneasthetist decided to give me Augmentum via IV. I saw my cardiologist last week and asked him about antibiotics (since the aneasthetist also told me that I must have antibiotics before any surgery or dental procedure). My cardiologists said that it is not necessary. Also read on the American Heart Foundation website, seems like they are actually not even sure if antibiotics should be used in this preventative way at all (even for people with highest risk), since there is not that much proof that it actually prevent endocarditis. Best would probably be to ask your cardiologist, cause he knows how bad your regurg is... Good luck with the dentist!! Regards.

Reply to Ruby