Question
Posted by: Sindi | 2004/12/02

endiometrosis

I am going to the hospital with endiometrosis, I just wanted to find out can this come back after the laser operation? Can it also make you infertile and what is the course of this.

Endometriosis can recur after treatment and it is a cause for infertility. There are many mechanisms for the infertility but the commonest is by damage to the tubes.

3
Posted by: JR | 2004/12/03

Yes... it can definately re-occur.... once again... i'm living proof.... I've had about 10 laparoscopies in total, not to mention all the other ops... endo related. Severity is the biggest factor... ie... what scale of endo you have. It may be mild, and as such, laser surgery may be a positive outcome for you, and delay the return for a long period. Best of luck

Reply to JR
Posted by: Golly | 2004/12/03

Sindi,

Depending on the severity, endo can cause infertility (I had stage 3 endo and ttc for 2.5 years). I read a lot on endo and apparently there is a 1-in-5 chance it can recur. Visit the www dot ivf dot com and click on endometrioses. It has a lot of info on the condition as well as stats and symptomps.

All the best with your operation.

Reply to Golly
Posted by: Lee cape town | 2004/12/02

hi there

I just had my op done a month ago...gyne says it does come back unfortunately and it definately can cause infertility coz I am proof :( but I can go the ivf way. but hopefully yours is still in the early stages, I pray it is...and therefore it won't cause any infertility coz they will be able to remove it

I am holding thumbs up for u

all of the best

Reply to Lee cape town