Question
Posted by: worried | 2008/02/01

encephalitis

my nephew (in his teens) has been diagosed with this.

anyone know much about this, I've found its a viral infec, which can be quite serious, but can't find much more than that. is it contagious??

I'm 30 wks preg. he's in hospital. can I go visit him?? please, I'm one of those paranoid pregnant people, don't want to take unnessary risks.

This is similar to meningitis. Some types are very contagious. If you can find out from his doctor what type it is, that's fine. Otherwise, play it safe and don't visit.

1
Posted by: LL | 2008/02/01

It's like meningitis - just small difference. Meningitis is when the membrain OF the brain is infected but encaphilitis is when the water IN and around the brain gets infected. I had it when i was 17.

I would recommend you NOT to go because the virus can jump.

If not diagnosed ealry enough it can be deadly but if he is taken care of he should be fine.

Reply to LL