Question
Posted by: Freda | 2007/07/24

Emotional and bordom eater

I have an insulan resistance problem, so i have to follow a Gl diet.
I have also joined the Weigh less group and have started to slowly loose weight. BUT, i have a problem in that i seem to be an emotional eater, when i am worried/stressed and when i am bored.
I seem to jepordize my own diet, like i weigh in on a Wednesday, and eat whatever i want when ever i want, then try and hope to loose it Monday to Tuesday hoping to loose it by Wednesday morning. I have bad habits that i find difficult to break. What do you suggest id do.

Dear Freda
If eating and food are emotional crutches in your life, then I think it is important that you see a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists') so that he/she can help you to find out what underlying problems are making you turn to food for comfort and to teach you better ways of dealing with anxiety, stress and boredom (or possibly depression). Until you have sorted out your emotional attitude to food, you will not gain the maximum benefit from any diet that you may use. If you suffer from Insulin Resistance then it is also important for you to do aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. Research has shown that daily exercise helps to promote weight loss and also helps people to stick to their diets (which is important in your case) and lifts the mood (also vital for you).
So do get some professional help with your emotions and start being as active as possible.

1
Posted by: Juice | 2007/07/25

HI Freda,
Am also an emotional eater and insulin resistant. I eat my supper right after my excersise, after an excersise I don't feel too hungry. I also eat apples and instant soup (weigh-less approved) when I feel like eating for no reason, also when i feel like eating to comfort me, I grab my diary and write down what I have already eaten for the day, by the time I'm done, I don't experience the feeling to eat.

Reply to Juice