Question
Posted by: Amelie | 2005/12/04

Emotional abuse or hormones?

I am 38 years old and has been in a emotional abusive relationship for two years. With abuse I am talking about a man that has manipulated me; constantly accusing me of having affairs and then rejecting me because of his beliefs. In the beginning I handled it ok and he agreed to get help. After 2 years I am exhausted and has broken off the relationship. I started to lose myself - rollercoasting between depression, feeling helpless and completely lost. I started to act unstable - I have never before been unstable,depressed,involve with drugs,alcohol whatever. I have a lot of anger and feel realised I have been carrying someone else's problems -him dumping it on me so that he does not have to face it. My question: could my hormones also have a role here?I have a daughter of six and my cycle is like clockwork every month?Thanks

SOunds like you were wise to break of the relatonship with the abuser. But the succeeding instability may deserve attention, and you should see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and discussion of treatment options, presumably including counselling of the CBT form. I doubt that your hormones are relevant here, as it doesn't sound as though they have chnged --- it is the changes in your relationship and way of life that are probably challenging you right now

1
Posted by: Jax | 2005/12/05

I'm obviously just another layperson but I doubt that your hormones have any role to play. Stock up on a good dose of various Vitamin B supplements - helps combat depression. Or start to see a counsellor and go on to anti-depressants if depression is becoming a problem. We're human, not martyrs who can take everything men throw at us...

Maybe look at your own past/childhood and decide if there was severe dysfunctionality/alcoholism that can now be manifesting itself.

At least you've dumped him - first prize for doing so.

Just remember that "battered woman syndrome" does not necessarily mean physical abuse. Psychological and emotional abuse causes as much harm.

Reply to Jax