Posted by: Charles | 2008/10/19

Embarrassed to see doctor

Hi! I have to visit my doctor because I'  ve found a lump in one of my testicles. I'  m worried because I get an erection from the slightest stimulation - sometimes all I have to do is to take my pants off and I get rock-hard but it doesn'  t always happen that way. I'  m a 26 year old straight man and it is embarrassing for me because my doctor is also a man and I'  m worried what he might think if he examines my testicles and I get hard. I would like to know if this is usual/unusual and what I should say to my doctor beforehand in case it does happen. Thank you.

Well, firstly, there are many much less potent men who might envy you your problem. Secondly, in the anxiety of the situation in the doctor's surgery, you may well find you do NOT have an erection. And thirdly, even if you do, he'll have seen that before --- for some people anxiety inhibits erections, for others it stimualtes them. He'll understand. I doub t that he'll think there's anything strange about it, but if you like, you can say when he suggests you get changed, that you apologise in advance by you find you tend to get erections in such circumstances, and hope it won't bother him.