Question
Posted by: Shani | 2008/07/15

Embarrased to call lifeline

I am pregnant, unmarried (the father broke off our engagement after I refused to go for an abortion) and heard I was getting retrenched today. I am at such a low point in my life and have no one to talk to as we have just moved to a new town. I received a number for lifeline but I feel so stupid for calling as I'm afraid they'll think I don't really have problems. I'm also scared I'll get connected to someone who might not speak my language or something like that. Does anyone know how lifeline works?

DO call Lifeline, Riley is right. Its anonymous, so nothing to be embarrassed about. And in such a service, one atends to whatever problem turns up at the other end of the phone, rather than trying to weigh each call and compare it to all the others. And from your description, you have a propblem that would out-weight many of the others that would call in. And the aim is to match you with someone you can talk with comfortably, so they should be able to transfer you in the unlikely event that something doesn't work out with the first person you speak to

2
Posted by: Curious | 2008/07/15

They are wonderful people who do not make you feel as if you are wasting their time. They are even prepared to sit and listen to you cry!!! Do call them.

Reply to Curious
Posted by: Riley | 2008/07/15

I know them well. :) Spent about a week solid to them on the phone. Didn't have anyone else to speak to. They helped me tremendously.

Please don't feel like your problems might not match up/be NB enough, etc. That's a silly excuse. They are there to help you through your problems. If you need to speak to someone, that is what they are there for.

And, to put you at ease, I spoke to someone who I wasn't feeling I was 'connecting' to, and asked to speak to someone else. No problem. They genuinely are sincere people.

Give them a call and let us know.

Reply to Riley