Question
Posted by: ELLIE | 2004/10/07

EMBARASSING - CONDOMS & ITCHIES

Even though I am on the pill (Tri-Minulet), my boyfriend and I do not want any surprises that will change our lives in 9 months, so we have decided to be extra cautious and sometimes use condoms as well. We sometimes have sex without a condom, but always put one on before he ejaculates. I have noticed that when we dont use I condom, I am fine, but when we do use a condom, I have a terrible itch that lasts for a day or so and feel particularly tender inside. Could I be showing syptoms of a latex allergy or what could be causing this? I am VERY particular when it comes to feminine hygiene.

Really embarassing but hope that you can help

Hi, The Best, here ! Good idea to use condoms as well. There's a snag with the idea of sex without a condom but putting a condom on before he ejaculates --- before ejaculation, his precum juices can contein enough sperm to create a pregnancy.
Now, that itch does indeed sound like it could be a latex allergy, which is much more common than people realize. Unless there a degree of allergy to any extra lubricant you might use ?
See a doc, as they can do skin tests to confirm what sort of allergy it is, as, as Paul indicates, if it's lubricant or spermicide, it may be easier to avoid. Some come with talc and some folks might be irritated by talc. I dont know enough to know if there are non-latex condoms available reasonably readily, but your local family planning clinic should know. I know there are special gloves for surgeons with latex allergy, so substitute substances do exist.

6
Posted by: Mona | 2004/10/07

I dont think you need to use condoms, as the pill is quiet effictive and trustworthy these days. There is only 3 days a month that a woman can fall pregnant, in thats about 14 days after the first day of your period, (when you are ovulating)

So just dont have sex during those couple days, and the rest of the time you can do without condoms. (If you are sure he is the one, and you are his only partner - for AIDS reasons)

Reply to Mona
Posted by: ELLIE | 2004/10/07

IOU,

Unfortunately no-one responds to my query on those to experts. CS is by far the BEST!!!

Reply to ELLIE
Posted by: IOU | 2004/10/07

Shouldn't you be talking to the sexologist or cyberdoc ?

Reply to IOU
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/07

Gee Im not very sure, it'd be best to get to a doc to find out if its the latex, the lube or maybe even the spermacide that you are allergic to. If its the latex you have a problem, the other 2 you can bypass by bying a brand that doesn't contain them.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: ELLIE | 2004/10/07

Any suggestions as to what I can do about it? or other alternatives that I can use?

Reply to ELLIE
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/07

Yip thats what it sounds like.

Reply to Paul